Thursday, August 28, 2008

Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson


Ok, I do NOT read James Patterson. I am a strictly romance girl. But a friend of mine convinced me to give this book a read, and I admit that the story line was very intriguing, so I decided to break out of my female author only box and read it.

Jane has an imaginary adult friend named Michael who has helped her through many hard times. She loves him dearly, and she assumes that he is going to be with her forever. But on her 9th (I think) birthday he breaks her heart when he tells her that he needs to leave her now. He's been her friend for as long as he is allowed, and now he needs to go help other boys and girls. He tells her that once he is gone she will magically forget him and their time together will seem like a dream. He leaves a broken hearted little girl. Fast forward 20 odd years later. Contrary to what Michael told her, Jane has never forgotten him. In fact she wrote an award winning play based on their friendship. When Michael is between assignments he happens across her, to his stunned disbelief, and when she also catches a glimpse of him the sparks fly. But how can an imaginary friend be her true love?

I LOVED the idea behind this book. I didn't love the execution of it as much though. As I was reading it I was very conscious of the fact that a man had written it (with a female co-author), as the writing was not at all flowery or romantically descriptive as women tend to write. I had a couple of nit-picky things, and things I would have changed in the story (I think he should have seen her play before even seeing her again -- that would have been fabulous), but over all I found it highly enjoyable -- for a book written by a man. ;)

No comments: