Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A Dangerous Man by Connie Brockway


Challenge: Readers choice
Rating: 3

B&N overview:
Mercy Coltrane, a brash young American woman, travels to England to search for her estranged brother. Strident in her quest, she seeks out the help of Hart Moreland, whom she knew years ago as Duke the Gunslinger, the hired gun her father enlisted to protect his land. Now Earl of Perth, Hart is back in his native England in a hard-earned position of respect and power, and the last thing he wants is a reminder of his dishonorable past. But Mercy Coltrane proves to be much more than just a painful reminder of the life he left behind. Vibrant, beautiful, and witty, Mercy embodies the life of happiness that Hart desperately craves.

Review: I was GOING to read this for my western challenge, but sadly there was a minuscule amount of western (3 pages) in this story, so this is getting moved to readers choice. Bummer. I could probably live with that if the book was a very good one, but I found it pretty disappointing. Almost the entire story takes place at an England house party. Yawn. The love scenes (once they show up) are good, but I found myself skimming much of the time, and even once I closed the book I didn't felt like I knew the hero and heroine very well. Even the secondary characters were lack-luster. The most exciting part of the book was the racy kick-back cover.... thankfully it was not a long book, so I was able to fly through it quickly. For excellent Brockway's I suggest her Rose trilogy or her McClairin's Isle trilogy.

1 comment:

Desert Rose said...

Ok it seems like a very uninteresting book.. good to know so that I don't add it to my tbr pile :)