Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Dearest Enemy by Connie Brockway

Rating: 5 ♥ ♥

Dear Mr. Thorne,


I give you fair warning. I intend to do whatever I must to abide by your late uncle's will and win Mill House. Though I know he never expected me to succeed, and for whatever reasons is using me to shame you, I accept his challenge. For the next five years, I will profitably manage this estate. I will deliver to you an allowance and I will prove that women are just as capable as men. And at the end, I shall accept Mill House as my reward.

Sincerely,
Lillian Bede


My Dear Miss Bede,

Forgive me if I fail to shudder. Pray, do whatever you bloody well want, can, or must. I shall look forward to making your acquaintance in my lawyer's office five years hence, when I take possession of Mill House.

Avery Thorne

Review: What a wonderful book!! This took me by surprise -- I didn't know how I would like a beta hero, but frankly, I adored him. It was a refreshing change from conniving, harsh, rake types I normally read about. Surprisingly, despite the fact that there are NO villains or bad people in the entire book, it still managed to stay interesting and fresh. I thought every interaction between Avery and Lily was sweet and endearing and very romantic. This is very much a romantics book. I would have liked more letter interaction I think -- that is my only complaint. Or rather, I would have liked to have seen more of the letters. This is one of those books that made me feel a broad range of emotion. I was laughing, I was crying.... I totally cried when I read the letter Avery wrote after his friend died. I just cannot say enough good stuff about this book, I highly recommend it.

No comments: