Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Broken Wing by Judith James


Challenge: Read a book rated 5 or favorite from a group members shelves.

Rating: 4.5

B&N Synopsis: Set during the chaotic beginnings of Napoleon's rule, this saga tells the story of Gabriel St. Croix, a street survivor searching for a place to belong. Abandoned as a child and raised in a brothel, he has never known friendship or affection. Hiding physical and emotional scars behind an icy façade, his only relationship is with a young boy he has spent the last five years protecting from the brutal reality of their environment. But all that is about to change. The boy's family has found him, and they are coming to take him home. Sarah Munroe blames herself for her brother's disappearance. When he's located, safe and unharmed despite where he has been living, Sarah vows to help the man who rescued and protected him in any way she can. With loving patience she helps Gabriel face his demons and teaches him to trust in friendship and love. But when the past catches up with him, Gabriel must face it on his own. Becoming a mercenary, pirate, and professional gambler, he travels to London, France, and the Barbary Coast in a desperate attempt to find Sarah again. On the way, however, he will discover the most dangerous journey and the greatest gamble of all is within the darkest reaches of his own heart.

Review: I confess I have mixed feelings about this book. I ordered it from B&N online, so I didn't get an up close and personal look at the cover until it was in my hot little hands, so I didn't see the blood soaked cloth on his arms before hand. Though I am not street/world wise in many ways, I knew this meant he was a cutter, and I was worried about how large a part this may play in the story, being a bit squeamish about such things. To my enormous relief, it didn't last a long time. This book is not for the faint of heart.... I am slightly faint of heart, so I am not going to be an enormous #1 fan of this book for that reason alone. It was a dark, intense journey. It didn't pull my heart strings as much as I expected it to.... I don't know why that is, but I did enjoy and appreciate this book for what it is -- a story about healing, acceptance, friendship, and of course, love. Honestly, I don't know that I would read more from this author, though I am glad I read this book. **mild spoiler** As for the ending, I get why he didn't come to her immediately upon arriving back, but it bugged me a little. Over all, an excellent debut book from a gifted author

1 comment:

Kristie (J) said...

CindyW pointed me this way as she knows how much I adore this book. Did you know that just by reading and doing a post on your thoughts on Broken Wing you automatically become a Questor? Yup, you do *g*. There's a list on them on the sidebar of my blog and I just added you.
This book really stuck a chord in me and I'm so delighted that it has so many others too. It is dark, very dark at times, but then I prefer dark to light for the most part though a nice fluffy funny book works very well at times too.
For me, although ultimately a romance, it was more than that - a journey from away from hell to the ultimate end of such a journey - healing and love.